Thursday, May 24, 2007

Live To Ride

I'm very happy to report that tonight, I attended my second Bike Night.  First of all, let me say I'm sorry that I didn't take my camera so I could document the evening; I promise I'll get pictures the next time I attend.  But just like the first Bike Night I attended two years ago, this was very badass. 

This Bike Night is one of the biggest held in the city - I'm not a good estimator, but I'll take a stab and say that when I left the Bike Night after the first hour of the event, there was over 400 bikes there.  I went from Bike Night over to the VFW to conduct some Ladies Auxiliary business, and when I left there at about 9:00, I saw probably the same amount of bikes - if not more - about a block away from the VFW at the cool hangout The Swamp.  To see just a sea of motorcycles of every shape, size and brand was a feeeling I just can't describe.  And I'm not a diehard bike fan, either; I can't imagine how a hardcore motorcycle fan would react to seeing that many motorcycles in one place. 

This Thursday night Bike Night was held in the parking lot by the Texas Roadhouse steakhouse and the recently closed Dillards shopping center.  So with the store closed, there's plenty of space for bikes.  I met a few co-workers and one VFW member there, and I have to say I had an awesome time.  Everyone was so friendly and welcoming to me.  Men and women that I'd never met before were patting me on the shoulder or arm and saying "hi" to me.  And I'm proud to report that I had several invitations for rides on very badass bikes, too; all of which I turned down because I had some business to conduct at the VFW.  But I felt very honored that an obvious outsider like me would be made to feel at home. 

When I got home tonight, I spent fifteen minutes telling the 'rents about the cool time at Bike Night, and told them I'd be taking them up there the next time I could attend.  Dad has a Harley t-shirt and Mom has an American flag t-shirt that they can wear and feel a part of it all.  You can rest assured that I'll have my camera that night to document the evening.  Until then, live to ride, ride to live.

No comments: