Friday, May 4, 2007

Flashback Friday

I was asked this week by two inquisitive faithful readers what this week's Flashback Friday topic would be.  When I told them "Earth Shoes", they had a "WTF?" look on their faces.  Both of them old enough to remember Earth Shoes, but they were having a mental block.  I told them to never fear, because after Flashback Friday, they would all they ever wanted to know about Earth Shoes.

Earth Shoes were introduced in the U.S. in 1970. They were designed in 1957 by a Copenhagen yoga instructor named Anne Kalso.  Earth Shoes were the first shoes marketed with a negative heel -- meaning their heels were lower than their raised toes.  This was to mimic the effect of walking in sand, and made for orthopedically correct posture. Tests showed that they provided the optimal alignment of the wearer's spine and pelvis, encouraging the shoulders to roll back.  In appearance, the shoes were boxy, but they sure were comfortable, especially to people like me with a wide foot and low arches. 

Earth Shoes were available in sandals, clogs, hiking shoes, fleece-lined ankle boots, and my favorite, regular lace-up shoes.  The company's sales peaked in 1974, and just three years later the company was placed in bankruptcy after a dispute with several banks.  Until recently, you could find Earth Shoes in second-hand shoe stores and thrift stores, but never fear -- they are making a comeback and can be found at just about every major online shoe store. 

I got my Earth Shoes in the late summer of 1976, as my official school shoes.  As I mentioned, I have a wide foot, and I was also very picky when it came to shoes, and when I saw the Earth Shoes at the infamous Ben Snyder's, I knew I had to have them.  I wore those shoes until my feet grew and they no longer fit, but I have to say they didn't wear out.  Mine were plain brown lace-up shoes, and I wore them every chance I could.  Back then, we didn't know they were actually good for our feet and posture; all we knew was that they were trendy.  At school, I honestly don't think they were that popular.  I know that Diva Stacy and I had them, but then again, we were always cutting edge. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the Earth Shoes were pretty popular at Lassiter Middle School.  Like you, they were my official new school shoes one year.  I think mine came from Gallenkamp, but not sure.  I do know they were brown.  Groovy.