Monday, May 22, 2017

Moving Day

Yesterday was moving day - The Girls moved from their box on the back porch to their fancy new digs out in the field at The Compound.  

The move went way more smoothly than I anticipated.  The first chick to move to the moving box, Bitsy, didn't want anything to do with me holding her.  But the next four chicks were as calm as they could be.  They each let me hold them and pet them before I put them into the moving box.  And I think they would have let me just carry them out to the coop.  The last chick was a bit contrary;  we think she was happy having the big box all to herself, and she wanted to enjoy the "me time" a bit before going out to the coop.

They all had a good night; at least, I thought they did, when I fed and watered them this morning.  One thing I noticed was they were more docile than before; this morning, I blocked the doorway so they couldn't fly out, but they all stood there in a line and let me pet them for a minute or two.  And The Old Man said the same thing today when he went out to check on them.  I guess they're getting used to us.  

So now they will stay inside of the coop for two days -so they will know it's "home" and where they are supposed to go to roost.  Then we will let them out in the pen and see how they like it.

Stay tuned. 

No comments: