Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Stop The Noise!!

Those that know me even remotely know that my biggest pet peeve is someone chomping/popping chewing gum.  I could listen to someone scrape their fingernails down a chalk board all day long and it would not phase me in the least.  But let me just see someone chewing gum and I almost have an anxiety attack.  Unfortunately, I’ve had coworkers that were mega gum poppers.  I’m not ashamed to admit that it got on my nerves so bad I dreaded coming to work.  Luckily, for the past few years that I’ve been a department manager, nobody in my department chews gum. 



I did some research, and people like me who cringe at the sounds of gum chewing/popping, noisy eating, repeated pen-clicking and even loud breathing may suffer from an actual disorder called misophonia.  It’s actually a disorder that affects the brain’s frontal lobe. 



According to scientists, people with misophonia experience changes in brain activity when they hear one of those previously mentioned sounds.  Some also experience physical side effects, like an increased heart rate and sweating, when they hear those noises. 



I don’t think someone’s gum popping has caused me to break out in a sweat or make my heart beat faster, but I know it sure makes me go crazy.

No comments: