Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cell Phone Forgetfulness

As I said yesterday, I left my cell phone at work on my desk, and for a brief moment I was almost in a panic, wondering for certain if I'd left it at work or lost it.  Never mind that I didn't stop anywhere on my way home yesterday so realistically I could not have lost it.  But I digress.

When I got to work this morning, I checked and to my surprise nobody had called me, and nobody had even texted me. Needless to say, that was a slight slap in the face; nobody wanted to get in touch with me last night.

As the evening went on, I started to enjoy not having the cell phone there with me, attached like an umbilical cord.  If someone had really wanted to get in touch with me, there was 87 different ways they could have found me; email, Facebook, old school telephone, smoke signal, etc.  But it was very different and peaceful, not having the phone at my fingertips to constantly check to see if someone emailed or texted. 

We're a week into Lent, and I honestly regret not giving up social media for Lent.  As I said, you have no idea how peaceful it was last night.

I know a lot of people have given up their landline phones, but let's face it -- if you did without your cell phone, if someone really needed to get in touch with you, they would find a way.

I urge you, faithful readers, to go phone-free for one evening like I did last night.  You'll be glad you did. 

No comments: