Tuesday, February 22, 2005

File Under: WTF?

This weekend, I went to Golden Corral with some friends for supper.  While there, I witnessed a strange occurance: approximately one out of every three people that I passed by going to/from the buffet tables had grilled cheese sandwiches on their plates. 

There was fried chicken, chicken breast tenders, pork loin, roast beef, fish and even steak on the buffet, and these people had their plates piled high with grilled cheese sandwiches.  The people were even waiting in line for grilled cheese sandwiches.  The grill cook couldn't make them fast enough.  It made no sense to me.  This was an all-you-can-eat buffet and people were eating grilled cheese sandwiches - something they could have at home any day of the week.  It's not like you have a huge salad bar at your home, nor have fried chicken every day - these people were passing up those delicacies for a grilled cheese sandwich. 

I thought about this while I was filling my plate and making my salad. The first thing that occurred to me was "Maybe they're all trying to find another Virgin Mary grilled cheese sandwich so they can put it on eBay."

Once back at my table, I continued to see people coming back to their seats with plates laden down with grilled cheese sandwiches.  I mentioned this oddity to my dining companions, one of whom spoke right up and said "Duhhhh - this is Lent - maybe they're Catholic and can't eat meat."  I immediately replied "Duhhhh - look at the calendar.  This is Saturday - Catholics don't eat meat on FRIDAYS during Lent."  Not one to be outdone, he said "Well, maybe they're Catholic and gave up meat on Saturdays for Lent."  My other dining companion put his two cents worth in and said "Oh, I don't think that's legal.  I think when Catholics give up something for Lent, it's got to be something for the entire time of Lent, not just something they give up for one day a week.  They're already giving up meat on Fridays - I can't believe they would give up meat for 2 days in a row." Silence fell over the table.  I just shook my head and started eating my fried chicken. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that the average American eats 8.4 grilled cheese sandwiches a year?