Friday, March 8, 2019

Happy International Women's Day

Today would have been my beloved Grandma's 113th birthday. Yep, she was born in 1906, and lived to be 94 years old.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about her. I am so thankful for the years that I had with her. She and Grandpa lived with us, and she was here with me when I was in elementary school while Mom and Dad had to work second shift. She was the one that got me up in the mornings for school, made my breakfast and my lunch, and she was the one waiting at the front door when the bus dropped me off in the afternoon.

Gram loved holidays. On Valentines Day, she would always make some flavor of red Jello in a heart-shaped pan. On St. Patrick's Day she would always put green food coloring in mashed potatoes just for me. On Easter, she would make her signature coconut cake, but would always leave the coconut off on a portion of the cake for me. Yep, she spoiled me. But then again, I spoiled her, too. So it was mutual.

Today is International Women’s Day, and I am honoring Her. I hope they are having a big birthday party for Gram up in heaven today. She sure deserves it.

No comments: