Saturday, January 24, 2009

Surreal Saturday

Something happend to the 'Rents and I this afternoon, and believe me when I tell you it was something that you would have seen on a sitcom - only we didn't think it was all that funny.

Some friends had invited us for dinner to celebrate my and Dad's birthdays. My birthday is Tuesday and Dad's is Wednesday, and they invited us for dinner tonight because that was the only night all of us could get together. Earlier this week, I called our friend to see what time she wanted us there for dinner, and I repeated the day and time and she agreed. Flash forward to this afternoon. We showed up promptly at the agreed upon 5:00 for dinner. The host was still working out in his garage, and the hostess was reading. I looked around and didn't see the table set, nor did I see or smell anything cooking in the kitchen. It was very awkward and I took one for the team and spoke up and asked her if we'd made a mistake about the day and time of our dinner. Evidently we did, because she said the dinner was tomorrow evening.

We felt like fools at first, and apologized for our mistake, but I made sure she remembered that I called her earlier this week and specifically asked about dinner on SATURDAY. We didn't feel so bad when her husband came in and wanted to know where the birthday supper was. Even he thought it was Saturday, too. There was an awkward silence, we apologized again and then the three of us left and went back home. It was just surreal.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Very strange, I'm sorry she disappointed you both on your birthday week! She could of at least apologized for the mistake. I hope you were able to salvage it somehow. Blessings to you and your dad!